Tuesday, April 12, 2022

SESSION TWO HOMEWORK: MY WHOLE-BRAINED PROBLEM SOLVING EXAMPLE

  

Post a COMMENT to this blog entry and share your experience of a time when you had to use both sides of your brain to solve a problem.

Example: (thank you, Hugo Gomez) "I was attempting to do a tune-up on my wife's car when I ran into a problem: a bad spark plug was stuck in the cylinder head and the opening was too small and deep for my fingers to reach in and grab it. Part of the wire was welded onto the top of the plug not allowing the wrench to take hold of the plug.(L)

I started thinking about other situations where there may have been items stuck inside something. Everything from TV shows where engagement rings went down the sink to images of Baby Jessica. (R)

I know I will need some sort of tool to remove the piece of metal blocking the spark plug. (L)

IDEA! I will use chopsticks to reach down and pull out the piece of metal thereby freeing the spark plug! (L/R)

I start convincing myself that this idea will work because chopsticks are much more slender than my fingers and I should be able to pluck that piece of metal. (L)

It didn't work. I couldn't generate enough leverage to pull out the piece of metal. The chopsticks kept slipping. I couldn't get a good grip. So I got another idea. I needed a chopstick with a hook on one end. This would give me the leverage necessary to pull out the piece of metal. (L/R)

Well, I know chopsticks have straight ends so I get a visual image of what's needed. I immediately know I have to use one of my wife's crochet hooks. It worked! (L/R)" 

4 comments:

  1. This is from when I recently (not yet finished) built an open kitchen in the ”studio” in our barn.

    Started with a picture in my head (R) and a sketch where I put down the measures (R/L). It has a slooping ceiling so I therefore taped the place/size for the furnishing on the floor (L) and measured in reality so to speak (L).

    After that I could make a list (L) with all the cupboards etc needed. And test this again to the image and sketch of the area (R). Ordering followed a procedure (L). 

When I assembled the IKEA furnishing I just had a quick look at the manual to see the big picture (R). But of course I had to go back and see in which order things should be done (L) and follow it (L). I also had to be creative when putting it all together and when anchoring cupboards with no wall behind (R/L).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am back in the world again. So sorry for the inconvenience to both of you.
      Kenth, a perfect example of the whole brain, back and forth, right and left and then whole thinking and feeling coming together. Really like this example.

      Delete
  2. I use both sideso of my brain often to solve problems. As a hairstylist, every time I have a client in my chair, they tell me how they want their hair cut.

    In order to ensure I give them the haircut that they have in their mind. I have to ask questions to make sure I get thier image in my mind.

    So the first thing I do is visualize what their final haircut will look like (R). If I'm not sure our images align, I'll look for a model on the web with a haircut similar to what they want (L) and show it to them (R) to make sure out images align.
    Then I map out in my brain what steps I will take to achieve the haircut (R). Once I've mapped out the haircut, I start to section the hair (L). I like to start my haircuts from the bottom and work my way up because this allows me to see the haircut come together as I am cutting (L). Before I cut the hair, I have to visualize what angle I need to cut the hair so it lays how it needs to for their cut (R). I then cut the hair at that desired angle and length (L). I then continue to work through the haircut following the visual map and steps I've created in my brain (R)(L) Once I'm done with the haircut, I look at the over all cut and see where there may be places that need more attention (R). If the hair is too thick in one section, I think about what texturizing or thinning technique is best for this section (R) then I use that technique to cut the hair (L). Once the haircut is complete, I wash and style my clients hair (L) and then reveal the final cut in the mirror to ensure it's what they wanted (R). I then ask if they see anything that needs changing? (L) If so, I ask questions to make sure I understand what they want fixed (L) then I think about what cutting technique will best fix their haircut (R) and then I cut it (L) and show them again (R) Once they are happy, the haircut is complete (L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "to make sure I get their image in my mind." Love this.
      Imagine, check out others, align with them, map out the steps.
      "allows me to see the hair cut coming together."
      How it lays, how it angles, final check, ending with happy agreement."
      Perfect example. You know Paul, asking your students to do this as an assignment in your class. It is excellent.

      Delete